January 10, 2007

Read This Book: Apathy and Other Small Victories

I was stealing salt shakers again. Ten, sometimes twelve a night, shoving them in my pockets, hiding them up my sleeves, smuggling them out of bars and diners and anywhere else I could find them. In the morning, wherever I woke up, I was always covered in salt. I was cured meat. I had become beef jerky. Even as a small, small child, I knew it would one day come to this.

So opens Paul Neilan's debut novel about "one man's desperate fight to assign absolutely no meaning to modern life." Witty, hilarious, irreverent, brilliant. "If Camus and Bukowski had written A Confederacy of Dunces and combined it with the screenplay for Office Space," says Never Mind the Pollacks author Neal Pollack, "it would have been this book." [Apathy and Other Small Victories] [Paul Neilan's Blog]

No comments: